Monday, December 9, 2013

Hummingbird Moths

     It was dusk when my wife and I arrived home last April 14th. We had spent the day in Malibu at the annual Chumash Day Pow Wow and, after a day of driving, drums, and visiting with friends, we were tired.
     That’s why I first thought what I was seeing was an illusion, a trick of eye or mind. My wife had opened her door, and when I looked past her toward our blossoming Pride of Madeira bush, there was an unfamiliar movement.
     “Honey, look over there. What is that?”
     “What?”
     “Just watch. I’m sure I saw something, and it was strange.”
     “Oh – oh, my! I see it, but I don’t know what it is, either.”
     Something flitted from flower to flower, moving quickly and then hovering just like a hummingbird, except that it wasn’t a hummingbird. The longer we watched, the more fascinated we became. There wasn’t just one of the strange creatures, there were half a dozen, maybe more.

     “They’re moths,” I said. “Moths like hummingbirds. Hummingmoths?”
     “Listen. Can you hear them? They even sound like hummingbirds!”
     I couldn’t hear them from where I sat, but I heard them later as I stood there with my camera, trying desperately to capture images of the strange, fascinating insects. They were hard as hell to shoot. I normally shoot in Aperture Priority mode so that I can control the depth of field, letting the camera choose shutter speed and ISO unless there’s a need for me to take over and do it myself. In this case, none of my normal settings were working. I put the external flash on my camera, switched on the autofocus, turned the dial to full Automatic mode, aimed, and prayed.


     These hummingbird-moths were fast, and they were shy. They didn’t like bright light, and they did not like me being close enough to get a decent shot. I had to wait, frozen in place, and watch. Occasionally, one would fly near my ear or hover nearby. They did, indeed, sound like hummingbirds.
     Finally, the moths moved on. Praying that I’d gotten at least a few decent captures, I sat down at the computer to develop the photos and to try and find out just what the heck we’d seen.
     What we saw that evening were White-lined Sphinx Moths, Hyles lineata, also known as Hummingbird Moths for obvious reasons, and as Hawk Moths, because of the way they fly, raptor-like, from one plant to another.
     The sphinx moths became a photographic obsession for the month that they were here, but despite trying various lenses and settings, I never got any better images than the ones I captured that first night using the 18-135mm commercial-grade Canon zoom lens and shooting in fully automatic mode.
     Now, as we move into winter, I look forward to the eventual coming of spring, and the return of the sphinx moths.



Anna's Hummingbird (right) and White-lined Sphinx Moth (below), both dining on the Pride of Madeira flowers within a few hours of each other. I tried putting the images side-by-side, but Blogspot wouldn't let me.



















More images. Right-click on them to open in a new tab, where you can enlarge the pictures and check out details like the super-long proboscis. For more information, check out this link:






No comments:

Post a Comment